July 26,2014

July 26,2014

Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Mission Chronicles 09’ May

Dear Friends and Family,
It is hard believe that a month has gone by already since my arrival here in the Philippines. My original plan was to travel with the Stanleys to Vietnam, but when I saw how shorten my time would be here in the PI I felt the need to opt out. I see now the hand of God in my decision as I was able to take on some of Danden’s responsibilities here in Bais City while He & family got away for a much needed break following the death of their daughter.

Upon his return Danden & I traveled to the Surigao City area on the North side of Mindanao and ministered at two church Thanksgivings. This trip is always “adventuresome” and is usually a test to see if I will complain about our Spartan accommodations along the way. It seems like it was a constant rush to get to our next form of transportation and then have the pleasure to endure it. From water taxi to a 3hr Bus to a 14hr Super Ferry. Sometimes we would get there minutes from departure. Praise God we never missed a connection. Our hotel in Surigao was probably a –1star, we got caught in the rain numerous times on the motor bike while ridding the 30k back & forth to our ministry local & soaked to the skin twice in a palm boat, once while it was stalled & adrift in the channel during a rain storm. (nothing compared to the Apostle Paul’s trouble eh? See 2Cor.11). On the positive side we blessed & ministered to numerous people, had wonderful fellowship, saw a bunch of kids make a first time commitment to the Lord, ate all sorts of great food & I got 30min. of premium snorkeling in while on one of the islands. (if only I could have speared a fish!)

With Surigao behind us it was Danden’s turn to travel to Vietnam at the invitation of a US based minister, this time with his wife Shirley. I took care of preaching responsibilities at the church, radio & cell groups while at the same time preparing for a special children’s meeting. Now my idea was to do a 1hr to 2hr program for the church kids since I did not have much budget for anything elaborate. The church elders thought different as I was to learn. To them a children’s meeting consisted giving the kids 2 snacks (one in the morning & one in the afternoon) plus feeding them lunch and going about 4hrs. Not only that but trucking many of the kids in (gas expense). I was delighted to find out that my humble budget of $50-60. fed & “snacked” over 155 children plus 20 adults & another 20 young worker/helpers. This also included gas, advertisement & misc. materials. Then we got to see about 10 kids give their hearts to the Lord for the first time! Well worth all the work & $. I learned that this was the most children they every had at one time at the Maranatha church facility. So greatly encouraged was everyone that we will see about doing another before I go.

What a privilege to serve God with all the unique abilities & talents I have been given & to do it on a field of mission like this. There are many things here that are hard on my western upbringing but I can not think of another job I am better suited for.

To all my friends & family I thank you for your continued prayers and support. Blessings to You, Russ

PS Anyone wishing to sow into my mission in the Philippines can send contributions to: CMAI
637 Occoneechee Drive
Fuquay Varina, NC 27526
With a notation “for Russ Rutler Philippines”
PSS short videos are available for viewing on www.youtube.com under Rustifer56

No comments: